- demographics – age, sex, education, income, where they live
- occupation: what do they spend their working lives doing?
- needs: at work, at home
- desires: some are common: food, shelter, sex, belonging
o more, however, are specific to each reader’s job, life, demographics
- predispositions and attitudes
- perceptions – how will they react to particular words?
What that means is that your knowledge of the audience should help determine the words you choose. You can use common social media slang for a teen audience, but it won't make any sense to seniors. That's obvious. You'll have to work much harder than that, however, when it comes to your own specific communications.