It’s the beginning of the year. I know, I should have posted this yesterday, on the actual first of the year, but I prefer to spend January 1 doing as little as possible. What do you like to do?
Anyway, here are my writer’s resolutions for the coming year.
- finish those two novels that have been sitting in the drawer for years: The Last Tiger and Maurice: Walking out of the USSR
- stop using “then” as a conjunction so often. I can get away with it once in a while, but not on every page.
- Stop using “then” so much everywhere else. “First he did this, then he did that.” Yeesh!
- resist the temptation to describe every little motion my characters make—for example, “she hesitated and glanced down, touched her face and shuddered just a little as her face reddened.” I think my readers will get it if I just writer “she hesitated as her cheeks became red.”
- write more book reviews on Amazon, Goodreads and Smashwords
- finish the process to list my books directly on Apple’s iBookstore.
I think that’s enough for one year.
What are your writer’s resolutions?